Stockbridge Mayor Jayden Williams in court today for alleged improper spending charges

Must read

The mayor of a metro Atlanta city is under investigation — a move initiated by his own city council.

Embattled Stockbridge Mayor Jayden Williams is expected in court this morning for an emergency hearing as he seeks to regain the powers stripped from him amid allegations of misspending and sexual misconduct.

Williams, 22, filed a civil lawsuit against the city asking a judge to restore his mayoral privileges. At the 9 a.m. hearing, the court will consider his request for a temporary restraining order and an effort to pause proceedings aimed at removing him from office.

Last month, Stockbridge City Council members accused Williams—the city’s youngest mayor—of misusing a city-issued purchasing card and engaging in sexual misconduct. The council subsequently revoked his administrative duties, purchasing card, access to city vehicles and key to City Hall.

Williams, who made history six months ago as the city’s youngest mayor, is now facing serios legal action up to and including removal from office for the alleged charges.

On Aug. 13, a legislative delegation also asked Gov. Brian Kemp to launch an independent investigation into the allegations against Williams.

In July, the city hired an independent, third-party investigator to review the expenditures. Mayor Pro Tem Elton Alexander said the goal is to determine how much money was spent, what it was used for, and whether those expenses were properly authorized.

“The city is booming right now. This should be our time to shine, and now this occurs,” Alexander said. “None of us want to be here.”

Alexander said concerns about Williams’ spending surfaced last week after information from the city manager’s office raised red flags, prompting the council to act.

In response, the city council passed a resolution Friday restricting the mayor’s access to non-public areas, city vehicles, and city funds, including his city-issued credit and fuel cards. The measure also required Williams to return all city property by Monday.

“We could deactivate — pretty much handle all of that electronically — so all of those items have been secured,” Alexander said. “Whether or not they’ve all been returned, I don’t know.”

The city retained an independent third-party investigator to review the matter.

“I don’t think I have added it up and certainly, if it’s one dollar, the city doesn’t differentiate how much. It’s taxpayer dollars and we’re supposed to be good stewards of the tax payer money,” said Alexander.

Black Information Network Radio - Atlanta