The national Black unemployment rate has dropped to a record low, according to the jobs report for May that was released Friday. However, the reasons why fewer Black people, and Americans overall, were seeking unemployment benefits were debatable.
The president was, of course, misleading the public and happily taking credit for the steady progress being made among the country’s workforce [while at the same time violating rules]. But former President Barack Obama would beg to differ with Donald Trump‘s professed role with the economy, according to a new book written by a senior adviser to the 44th president that was reviewed by New York Times.
“I’ve got the economy set up well for him,” Obama said of Trump days after the 2016 election, Benjamin J. Rhodes wrote in “The World as It Is,” a memoir which is set for release on Tuesday.
Obama continued, talking cautiously about the consequences for the American public with Trump steering the ship: “They can just have a cartoon.”
Those words that were reportedly uttered by Obama nearly two years ago have seemingly proven prophetic in at least two ways:
- The national unemployment rate fell to 3.8 percent and Black unemployment plunging to 5.9 percent, the lowest rate on record for African-American workers, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Not only has the economy continued to thrive from the hard work Obama put in to reverse the downward spiral he inherited in 2009, his successor has indeed proven to be as surreal and, at times, clownish as a cartoon.
The Black unemployment rate has dropped nearly two full percentage points since the beginning of the year, with Trump insisting how great he is for African-Americans with the release of each month’s jobs report.
But while more jobs — or fewer unemployment claims, depending on how you want to look at it — is never a bad thing, Trump’s presidency has seen a barrage of damaging policies inflicted on African-Americans, including and especially those having to do with the environment, education and immigration.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
The Economy Was ‘Set Up Well’ For Trump, Obama Says In New Book As Black Unemployment Plunges was originally published on newsone.com