WHAT: Dr. Bernice A. King, CEO of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change (The King Center), announces plans that The Center will lead the nation and the world in the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of her father’s assassination.
“My father demonstrated his love for this country by striving to bring about the nonviolent social change needed for America to reach its full potential as a nation committed to justice and equality for all,” says Rev. Bernice King. “Today as we reflect on his life and work we are reminded that as citizens of the world we all have a part to play in creating the ‘Beloved Community.’ In his memory we are all called upon to rededicate ourselves to elimination of the triple evils of racism, poverty and militarism.”
The majority of The King Center’s MLK50 Forward events are free and open to the public beginning on April 2nd in Memphis, TN and ending April 9th in Atlanta, GA.
WHEN/WHERE: MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE:
Monday, April 2 National Civil Rights Museum 3:30 p.m. CST
- Dr. Bernice A. King and a select group of ministers and special guests will embark upon a special Delta Air Lines chartered flight to Memphis. While there, the group will take a special guided tour of the National Civil Rights Museum (Lorraine Motel). *Private flight leaves from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport approximately @ 1 p.m. EST.
Monday, April 2 Clayborn Temple 6:00 p.m. CST
- Dr. Bernice A. King and special guests will dine at Clayborn Temple with a program to follow commemorating Dr. King’s assassination.
Tuesday, April 3 Mason Temple 7:00 p.m. CST
- Dr. Bernice A. King and special guests gather to remember Dr. King’s last speech delivered on April 3, 1968, at the Mason Temple in Memphis, Tennessee.
WHEN/WHERE: ATLANTA, GEORGIA:
Wednesday, April 4 King Center / Yolanda D. King Theatre for The Performing Arts 10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. Nonviolent Peace Prize is The King Center’s highest award is presented for commitment to nonviolence as a way of life through which social justice, human rights and civil liberties are attained for all. The 2018 Peace Prize Award Ceremony honors lawyers Benjamin Ferencz and Bryan Stevenson. Moderated by Rev. Bernice A. King and Atlanta’s legendary news anchor Monica Pearson.
Wednesday, April 4 Ebenezer Baptist Church / MLK Community Center Noon
- Peace Prize Luncheon
*Honorees and special guests invited
Wednesday, April 4 King Center / Crypt of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 7:01 p.m. EST
- Global Bell Ringing & King Family Wreath laying at the time of Dr. King’s assassination 50 years
Saturday, April 7 Georgia Freight Depot 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. EST
- King Centennial Speaks: The Centennial Generation of “King Children,” Miss Yolanda Renee
King, Granddaughter of Martin Luther King Jr. and Miss Maryn Rippy, Granddaughter of A.D. King,
hosts youth from all over the world who have done extraordinary work for humanity. Ages 2 -13
welcomed. ABC’s Hudson Yang of Fresh off the Boat to Emcee.
*Please register to attend at http://www.MLK50Forward.org
Monday, April 9 Memorial Service/ Historic Ebenezer 10:30 a.m. EST
- In 1968 the world mourned the loss of a true American hero who dedicated his life to helping
others. Fifty years later we commemorate his passing by gathering in the same sanctuary to reflect
on his life as a Drum Major for Peace, Justice and Righteousness and to rededicate ourselves to
moving his Dream Forward.
*Private invitation only
Monday, April 9 March for Humanity 12:00 p.m. EST
- Thousands will gather at Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church for a March for Humanity & Love for
Humanity Rally. The march will start on Jackson Ave. and end at the Georgia State Capitol, Liberty
Park Plaza with a Love for Humanity Rally.
*Please register to walk http://www.MLK50Forward.org
For more detailed information on all MLK50 Forward events please visit www.MLK50Forward.org
Follow on social media @TheKingCenter | #MLK50Forward
Media Contacts: Carmen Luisa Coya-van Duijn: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 404.408.2103.
Tenisha Bell: Tenisha@PerfectPitchMediaGroup.org, or 678.429.4254