The Howard University Alumni Club of Atlanta conducted a “Senior Day of Pampering” at the Adamsville Green Senior Living Community in Atlanta as part of the expansion of the organization’s Community Service Committee outreach and volunteer program in the metro area.
HUACA President Karen Shropshire, who’s been leading the organization for the past three years, has helped appropriate the organization’s focus towards volunteerism and community advocacy, reflecting highly on their alma mater, Howard University.
“Our goal,” says HUACA community service chair Cheryl Gill, “is to reach out to the ‘very young’, our ‘senior community’ and all those in between. As an organization, we are interested in fostering partnerships with other existing organizations so we can maximize the input of our service.”
Behind Shropshire’s leadership, the HUACA has established and nurtured relationships with multiple organizations throughout Atlanta for the purpose of “paying forward” by giving back. Some of these include:
- The Hamilton E. Holmes Elementary School and their Reading is Fundamental program;
- Donated Christmas presents at the Atlanta Children’s Shelter;
- And a new collaboration has been formed with Benjamin E. Mays High School students who participate with The Greater Atlanta Urban League’s Project Ready Program where the HUACA organized a College Panel Discussion with existing Howard University students over this past winter break to share and answer questions about student life at Howard.
With the “Senior Day of Pampering,” Community Service Co-Chair Marquita Barnes Johnson established a relationship with the Adamsville Green Events Coordinator, Nicole Hodges, who expressed enthusiasm about HUACA eagerness to show appreciation to seniors during February’s month of love.
The Howard Alumni group were able to collaborate with other businesses to accomplish this community advocacy mission.
- IWI Fresh Garden Day Spa owner Yolanda Owens provided nail painting, back and gentle hand massages;
- Atlanta Hot Shaves owner Charles Nowell provided hair cuts and beard trims,
- DawnLee Cosmetics owner Dawn Adams beautified the seniors with the stroke of a brush.
- Photographer Rodney Riddick of PhotoShots went and captured the moments.
“He along with all the volunteers and alumni members, have a soft spot for seniors!” exclaimed Gill. “Special thanks to all the student volunteers from The Greater Atlanta Urban League Project Ready program from Benjamin E. Mays High School, and Carver High School, we thank them for loving on our seniors.”
Because of their fervent devotion to volunteerism and community advocacy, the HUACA has twice been voted Howard University Alumni Association Exceptional Club Award.
“Howard University’s motto is In Truth and Service. The Howard University Alumni Club of Atlanta (HUACA) strives to fulfill this motto by giving back to the beloved community,” Gill said. “It was our pleasure to serve the seniors at Adamsville Green, we look forward to returning very soon for our next community service event.” said Shropshire.
HUACA’s next major event is our Charter Day Concert featuring the Howard University Gospel Choir on March 21st at St Luke’s Episcopal Church in downtown Atlanta. The HUACA will also celebrate the 148th anniversary of the signing of Howard University’s charter. The event is open to the public.
To join or more information on upcoming events with the HUACA please like our facebook page: Howard University Alumni Club (HUAC) of Atlanta or go to our website: www.hualumniatl.com or twitter: www.twitter.com/hualumatl or email us at: email@example.com
Flip the e-page to check out more of the photos from the Howard University Alumni Club’s Senior Day of Pampering.