The death of Maya Angelou sent the world reeling. Many are still trying to process the passing of such an iconic global figure. While everyone knows how Maya Angelou affected the world through her writing and speaking engagements, many don’t know how she’s affected the Hi-Hop community simply by being someone they could talk to. Rapper Common made sure to pay his respects to Maya Angelou in a moving essay.
In the essay, Common recounts memories of the first time he met Ms. Angelou and tells of how their relate ship grew from that first meeting. Common also goes into detail about how she became apart of his family. Check out an excerpt below:
“The next night she did her thing at the event and embraced me as a young writer-artist, an important voice in hip hop and even flirted with me. Now that really made me feel special. She and I would go on to build a bond that not only would have us spreading love at events in Harlem, Chicago, and DC, but I would be blessed to go visit her at her home in Winston-Salem, NC, and celebrate several birthdays with her where we had great times and I got to know her lovely family. It was always an honor to be in her presence and though she did feel like my mother, my grandma, and my friend. I would always Thank God for being there with her.
Every experience was unique, but every time I saw her I learned something about myself and about life, about humanity, about progress. And I was always reminded how we are true reflections of God, how much Light we do have, how great and dynamic Black Women are and how far Integrity, Self Love and Self Respect can take you. I don’t know if my words—or any words—can truly describe the experience of being in the atmosphere of Dr. Maya Angelou, someone you know is sent from the Creator to Give the World A Voice it has never heard, a brightness it has never witnessed, an energy that is Greatness, Divinity and Awakening all wrapped into one.”
You can finish reading Common’s moving message about Maya Angelou over at The Daily Beast.
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!
READ MORE HOT NEWS COVERAGE ON THEURBAMNDAILY.COM:
Phenomenal Woman: Our Favorite Dr. Maya Angelou Quotes
1.1 of 18
2. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou2 of 18
3.3 of 18
4. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou4 of 18
5.5 of 18
6. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou6 of 18
7.7 of 18
8. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou8 of 18
9. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou9 of 18
10.10 of 18
11.11 of 18
12.12 of 18
13.13 of 18
14. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.14 of 18
15.15 of 18
16. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou16 of 18
17. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou17 of 18
18. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.18 of 18
Common Pays Tribute To Maya Angelou In Moving Letter was originally published on theurbandaily.com