One of the most notorious poets to ever touch pen to paper, Dr. Maya Angelou, passed away last night in a Winston-Salem, North Carolina in a hospital while recovering from a mystery illness.
According to TMZ, Angelou was recovering from an “unexpected ailment” that sent her to the hospital. She passed with her family by her side.
She has received more than 30 honorary degrees from universities around the world and was set to be honored once again in Houston as she was supposed to receive the Beacon of Life Award.
Her agent, Helen Brann, confirmed the death to ABC News.
“Her son told me she died early this morning in Winston-Salem. She’d been very frail and she had heart problems but she was going strong, finishing a new book. I spoke to her yesterday. She was fine, as she always was. Her spirit was absolutely indomitable.
Known for her works like, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Alone, Still I Rise, Phenomenal Woman and Woman Work, Maya brought the black perspective that was once so blurry into complete focus. But bigger than that…she made the heart and soul of the black woman empathetic to others and for that she will never be forgotten.
Angelou was often quoted as saying,
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Dr. Angelou spoke at the Inauguration of President Bill Clinton in turn breaking a huge barrier for black poets especially black female poets. Take a look at the video below as she shares the poem “On The Pulse Of Morning”.
Because she was….so many of us in this industry are and we all owe her a debt of gratitude.
The Urban Daily sends our thoughts to the family, loved ones, friends and fans of Maya Angelou, phenomenal job done…by a “phenomenal woman.” Rest well.
Phenomenal Woman: Our Favorite Dr. Maya Angelou Quotes
1.1 of 18
2. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou2 of 18
3.3 of 18
4. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou4 of 18
5.5 of 18
6. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou6 of 18
7.7 of 18
8. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou8 of 18
9. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou9 of 18
10.10 of 18
11.11 of 18
12.12 of 18
13.13 of 18
14. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.14 of 18
15.15 of 18
16. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou16 of 18
17. Phenomenal Woman – Maya Angelou17 of 18
18. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.18 of 18
READ MORE HOT ENTERTAINMENT COVERAGE ON THEURBANDAILY
Like TheUrbanDaily.com on Facebook to stay updated with the latest entertainment news and original interviews!