There will be wonderful explosions of colors and sounds in the skies above metropolitan Atlanta on the 4th of July. Most of the cities and towns have a cornucopia of events planned that precede or surround the fireworks.
Most of the events will include live music, games, prizes, races, parties, barbecues and other events
Take a look at many of the 4th of July-themed events planned for Friday afternoon and evening. Most of the events are open and free to the public — but you are advised to get to your chosen event or events early as to procure prime viewing.
City of Atlanta:
4th of July at Centennial Olympic Park. Gates open 6 p.m. July 4. Fireworks begin about 9:40 p.m. Free. Centennial Olympic Park 265 Park Ave. W., Atlanta.
The finale of the evening is Centennial Olympic Park’s Fireworks Spectacular, Atlanta’s best fireworks display synchronized to a special selection of patriotic and popular music.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race: The 6.2 mile event kicks off the holiday with 60,000 runners making their way down Peachtree Street. Even if you don’t have a race number, it’s worth checking out.
Atlanta Braves vs. Arizona Diamondbacks. Cheer on the Braves then stay around for the fireworks. 7:35 p.m. July 4. Turner Field, 755 Hank Aaron Drive, Atlanta.
Lenox Square 4th of July. 10 a.m. July 4. Fireworks at 9:40 p.m. Free. 3393 Peachtree Road N.E., Atlanta.
Red White & Brew. If you want an upscale and special experience, catch the Centennial Olympic Park fireworks from the roof of the Georgia Aquarium. 6-10:30 p.m. July 4 $55 ($45 for members), 21 and older only. 225 Baker St., Atlanta. 404-581-4000.
4th of July Fireworks in suburban Atlanta, according to WSB-TV:
- Acworth’s 4th of July concert and fireworks. Concert begins at 5:30 p.m. Fireworks at dusk (9:30). Free.
- Alpharetta’s July 4th Fireworks and Festivities. Celebrate Independence Day with family and friends at Wills Park. Festivities begin at 5:30 p.m., behind the Alpharetta Community Center. Fireworks begin at dusk. Wills Park 1825 Old Milton Parkway, Alpharetta, 678-297-6133, www.alpharetta.ga.us.
- Auburn July 4th Festival & Fireworks. 5 to 11 p.m. July 4th. 1369 Fourth Ave., Auburn. www.cityofauburn-ga.org.
- Austell – Six Flags Over Georgia. Rides and attractions, fun games and fireworks show. Guests who arrive 7/4-7/6 with a Coca-Cola can, can get in an hour early. Fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. on all three nights.
- Buford – Mall of Georgia 12th annual Fabulous Fourth. Kids Zone opens 5 p.m. July 4th for games, water balloon toss. Fireworks begin at dusk. Free. Post-fireworks screening of “Hunger Games: Catching Fire” (rated PG-13). Mall of Georgia, 3333 Buford Drive, Buford. 678-482-8788, www.mallofgeorgia.com.
- Calhoun - The Star Spangled Celebration opens at 5 pm. Fireworks at 10 p.m. www.northwestgeorgiaregionalfair.com
- Clayton County – 4th of July at “The Beach” – July 4 – Event from 1-7 p.m. Fireworks at dusk. $10 per person. www.claytonparks.com
- Chamblee Fourth of July Celebration. 6 p.m.-10 p.m. July 4th. Free. Keswick Park, 3496 Keswick Drive, Chamblee. 770-986-5016, www.chambleega.com.
- Covington – Independence in the Park Music Fest – Downtown Covington Square. www.downtowncovington.org
- Cumming’s July Fourth Celebration. Fireworks July 3rd at 9:30 p.m. Cumming Fairgrounds, 235 Castleberry Road, Cumming. Steam Engine Parade July 4th at 10:00 a.m. – Downtown square. www.cummingfair.net.
- Dahlonega – Celebrate Independence Day in Dahlonega, Georgia on July 4th. Downtown Dahlonega & UNG Drill Field www.dahlonega.org
- Dalton – 4th of July Celebration -July 4th. Festivities begin at 2:00 p.m. Fireworks start at 9:30 p.m. at Heritage Point Park. 1275 Cross Plains Trail, Dalton, Georgia. mydprd.com
- Decatur’s July 4th Pied Piper Parade. Decorate your wagon, ride your bike, skate or walk in this parade. Fireworks begin at dark July 4th. Parade begins at 6 p.m. and ends at the Community Bandstand on the square, with a concert by the Callanwolde Concert Band at 7 p.m. Free. 404-371-8386,
- Douglasville – July 4th Celebration -July 4th. Parade begins at 10:00 a.m. Fireworks will start at dusk. Fireworks can be viewed from Arbor Place mall front parking lot.
- Duluth Celebrates America. July 3rd Celebration – Duluth Town Green. July 3rd from 6-9 p.m.
- East Point Hometown Celebration. Saturday July 5th from 5-11 p.m. across from East Point MARTA station. 404-270-7059,
- Flowery Branch – Sterling on the Lake – July 5th. Music at 5:30 p.m., Fireworks at dusk. $15 per car for non-residents.
- Gwinnett County – Gwinnett Braves vs. Durham Bulls. Friday July 4. Fireworks extravaganza immediately after game. gwinnettbraves.com
- Hall County – Fourth of July Fireworks at Laurel Park American Legion Fireworks Display – 3100 Old Cleveland Highway, Gainesville. $5 per car.
- Heard County – Fireworks and Street Dance – Friday July 4th 5 p.m. Downtown Franklin.
- Henry County Fourth of July Fireworks Extravaganza. Festivities begin at 1 p.m. Includes live music, car show, kids play area, a saloon and fireworks at dusk. Nash Farm.
- Kennesaw’s Salute to America. July 3rd Fireworks. Free concert at 6 p.m., fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Downtown Kennesaw.
- Lake Lanier – LanierWorld – 7000 Lanier Islands Parkway, Buford Ga. Fireworks at dark. www.discoverlakelanier.com/events/july-4th-celebration/
- Lawrenceville – Prelude to the Fourth – Lawrenceville’s renowned Aurora Theatre will perform a Broadway Musical with a full orchestra, followed by a dazzling fireworks display! Begins at 7:00 p.m. at 185 Crogan Street, Lawrenceville, 30046.
- Lilburn – Sparkle in the Park Music, food and fireworks. A1A, the Jimmy Buffett Tribute Show, will have a family-friendly concert. Bring a lawn chair or blanket. 5:30-10 p.m. Lilburn City Park, 76 Main St., Lilburn. www.cityoflilburn.com.
- Marietta – Fourth in the Park. Day-long celebration. July 4th 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Glover Park on the Marietta Square
- Monroe – Freedom Fest – July 4th. Event begins at 5:00 p.m. at Athens Tech Campus, 121 Blaine Street. Fireworks at dark.
- Newnan Rotary Club’s Independence Day – 4th of July parade at 9 a.m. Main Street Newnan. Fireworks celebration – Drake Stadium. Gates open at 5 :30.
- Norcross – Red, White & BOOM!. 4 p.m. block party. Live music at 6 p.m. Fireworks at dusk. July 3rd. Free. Lillian Webb Park, 5 College St., Norcross. 678-421-2000.
- Peachtree City - The parade begins at 9 a.m. July 4th on Peachtree Parkway at Braelinn Golf Course. 4th Fest 5 pm- 9 pm at City Hall Plaza. Firworks 9 pm-10pm Drake Field.
- Roswell’s Annual July 4th Fireworks Extravaganza. Fireworks at dusk. July 4th. Sweet Apple Elementary School – 12025 Etris Road.
- Sandy Springs- Community Fireworks Display -Fireworks July 5th. Festivities begin at 7:30 p.m. Fireworks at 9:45 p.m. Viewing will be at Concourse Corporate Center Lawn: Five Concourse Parkway. Local residents are encouraged to pack a snack.
- Snellville – Star Spangled Snellville. Independence Day Celebration on the Towne Green. July 4th starting at 3 pm. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
- Stone Mountain – Fantastic Fourth Celebration at Stone Mountain Park. Enjoy the Lasershow Spectacular, followed by a fireworks July 3-5 on the lawn. Begins at dusk. $10 daily parking pass or $35 for annual parking permit, U.S. 78 E., Stone Mountain.