I don’t expect much from Kim Kardashian besides the things she’s good at. This includes taking awesome selfies, pouting extremely well, and profiting handsomely off our collective obsession with all things celebrity. But, I will give the future Mrs. Kanye West credit for at least trying to dive a little deeper than the kiddie pool of commentary we’ve come to expect of her. In a blog post entitled “On My Mind” — stop laughing — Kim reveals that the birth of her mixed race daughter, North West, has alerted her to something any person of color with sense could tell you in a flash: racism still exists.
In her short albeit sweet blog post. Kim is ultimately saying, “Like many people, I only think about societal ills until they impact me directly.”
To be honest, before I had North, I never really gave racism or discrimination a lot of thought. It is obviously a topic that Kanye is passionate about, but I guess it was easier for me to believe that it was someone else’s battle. But recently, I’ve read and personally experienced some incidents that have sickened me and made me take notice. I realize that racism and discrimination are still alive, and just as hateful and deadly as they ever have been.
I feel a responsibility as a Mother, a public figure, a human being, to do what I can to make sure that not only my child, but all children, don’t have to grow up in a world where they are judged by the color of their skin, or their gender, or their sexual orientation. I want my daughter growing up in a world where love for one another is the most important thing.
But like all things Kim Kardashian related, some folks pulled the pitchforks out of their back pockets and got to playing the role of sourpuss. As in, “Girl, duh. Shut up.” Or, “Why is she still here?” Then there were some comments about her sex tape, which some refuse to let go of and so on.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s give the simple girl credit for owning her selfishness.
To her credit, in her own way, Kim Kardashian acknowledged an obliviousness to the plight of others that most wouldn’t dare own — especially in a public space. Racists rarely admit they are racists, but it’s equally rare for people to admit that they never think about prejudice because it’s not a factor of their daily lives. I hate that it tends to take direct impact for people to feel empathy for the plight of others, but such is the way of the world.
Kim concluded her piece with an after-school-special-approved message for all of us:
So the first step I’m taking is to stop pretending like this isn’t my issue or my problem, because it is, it’s everyone’s… because the California teenager who was harassed and killed by his classmates for being gay, the teenage blogger in Pakistan who was shot on her school bus for speaking out in favor of women’s rights, the boy in Florida who was wrongly accused of committing a crime and ultimately killed because of the color of his skin, they are all someone’s son and someone’s daughter and it is our responsibility to give them a voice and speak out for those who can’t and hopefully in the process, ensure that hate is something our children never have to see.
This is Sesame Street realness, but I appreciate it all the same.
As someone who constantly writes about old, bigoted racists who should fall through a trap door directly in to hell, I can say undoubtedly that I’d rather read racial musings from Kimberly Kardashian than listen to them. Hell, maybe Kim Kardashian can now turn her thoughts to climate change and declining wages. Or you know, intel on how Beyoncé really feels about her.
Read the rest at NewsOne.
Kim Kardashian & Kanye West's 'Kutest' Moments
1. A Look Into The Kutest Moments Between Kim & Kanye1 of 45
2. One Big Happy Family2 of 45
3. Now VOGUE3 of 45
4. Wedding Bells Ringing4 of 45
5. BOUND5 of 45
6. Hugs All Around6 of 45
7. Stealing A Kiss7 of 45
8. Car Service8 of 45
9. Lean In9 of 45
10. Hold On To Love10 of 45
11. All Of The Lights11 of 45
12. Private Jets12 of 45
13. A Couple Who Smizes Together...13 of 45
14. A Smile From Kanye14 of 45
15. Smelling Her Shoulders15 of 45
16. A Look Between Lovers16 of 45
17. Kim's Fairy Tale Coming True17 of 45
18. Q Kuick Squeeze From Kim K18 of 45
19. What A Lovely Couple!19 of 45
20. This Is What True Love Looks Like20 of 45
21. A Kouple That Dresses Together, Stays Together21 of 45
22. Genuine Smiles22 of 45
23. Kim Checks Her Man's Tux23 of 45
24. That Look You Give When You Know Your B*tch Is Bad!24 of 45
25. Kanye Loves When Kim's All Dolled Up25 of 45
26. The Look Of Love Is In His Eyes26 of 45
27. Kould Get Get Any Kuter?!27 of 45
28. KimYe In The Bedroom28 of 45
29. Take A Selfie So We Know It's Real29 of 45
30. Yeezy The Protector!30 of 45
31. Kimmy Squeezes Her Man31 of 45
32. What Is This...Velvet?32 of 45
33. Kim Reps Her Man With Pride33 of 45
34. Kanye & Kim Having A Black & White Moment34 of 45
35. It Ain't Love Until You...35 of 45
36. Kanye's Secret To A Happy Marriage...36 of 45
37. KimYe's Kiss37 of 45
38. Even When Yeezy Is Talking About Things We Don't Know...38 of 45
39. Ride Or Die39 of 45
40. Kanye's Nod Of Approval For Kim40 of 45
41. KimYe's Red Hot Kiss41 of 45
42. Happiness...They Could Model It!42 of 45
43. Kim & Yeezy43 of 45
44. The Better To Hear You, My Dear...44 of 45
45. A Rose For A Rose45 of 45
MORE LINKS ON THE URBAN DAILY