As responsibilities pile on, having “me” time is important to one’s health. It helps to know you are not alone. Sisters and Friends Getaway on Martha’s Vineyard hosts women friends and strangers from around the country for a stress free no-agenda getaway. Round trip bus leaves from Pittsburgh the first week, September 7-14. Second week is September 14-21.
While there, sharing experiences of being Black women in this society make friendships come fast and natural. Friendly cliques form and lead to discussions that promote ways to support and lift each other up.
Here are five benefits of any girlfriends’ getaway:
1) See yourself in others. When women come together in a relaxed atmosphere they share more and are often relieved to find others with similar challenges.
2) Physical Reaction. According to a UCLA study, when women spend time with friends, hormonal changes occur from the bond of friendship and from being in a safe environment to share and de-stress.
3) Lifts Burdens. A gathering of women often evolves into significant testimonies resulting in releasing anxieties as sisterfriends listen, understand, and cheer them on.
4) Share Fix It Strategies. “What would you do?” is likely asked and answered more often by a female. In a comfortable setting, women offer ways to handle issues and won’t hold back in sharing advice on how to handle yours!
5) Take A Way. Reflecting on new approaches to challenges equips women with tools of inspiration when time away is over.
“Most of all, girlfriends’ getaways are fun,” states Connie Portis, host of Sisters & Friends Getaway. This all-inclusive (excluding travel fare) getaway begins the Sunday following Labor Day at high season end making it the perfect time to catch sales and low cost housing rental (passed on in affordable rates for attendees).
Brunch and dinner are included round robin fashion in the vintage houses women share offering the opportunity to meet sisterfriends from Seattle, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Hartford and cities in between.
Oak Bluffs has great beachside walking paths, and the famous Inkwell Beach where African Americans still gather to savor Atlantic Ocean. The island’s clean air is perfect for taking an historic walking tour, traveling by local bus or guided excursions to enjoy peace and serenity.
During Sisters and Friends Getaway, activities include line dancing, book discussions, and uplifting impromptu workshops to round out the getaway. Grab a sister or friend (or come alone) for one or two week periods or as schedule permits.
For rates and more details, visit http://www.sistersandfriends.com or call (412) 400-8809.