Former B2K member Raz B was never in a coma, and the story has been declared a hoax, according to CNN.
While it is true that the singer was hit by a bottle in a club in China, his injuries were never serious.
Raz B, real name De’Mario Monte Thornton, reportedly reached out to CNN and asked them not to publish that the coma story was not true. Toy Jones, the “publicist” who broke the pseudo-story to TMZ now claims that she was hired by Thornton’s family to get the story out to the media.
Read more from CNN below:
The singer’s brother, who performs under the name Ricky Romance, said in a statement sent to CNN Monday afternoon that he had been “misled by unknown reasons.”
“I was unfortunately unable to contact my brother at the time and then panicked,” Romance said. “I then alerted as many people of this information hoping to gather facts… Since the source that gave me this information was what I thought to be legitimately reliable I didn’t question I just believed. I apologize if I seem like I jumped to conclusions but a coma is a serious situation and it was concerning my brother whom is my best friend as well. I sincerely apologize for the confusion I caused if that is the case.”
Although Jones gave CNN the same information Sunday, she declined to give the name of the hospital — only saying it was in the Zhejiang province near Shanghai.
Several hours later, Jones sent CNN a written statement saying the singer had miraculously recovered from the coma and would be released from the hospital in days. The unedited statement reads: “Doctor says Numerous Brain scans showed that Raz’s entire cortex- the parts of the brain that give us consciousness, thought, Memory and understanding is now functioning. Doctors say its a miracle and told his family that he stands a strong chance of survival and no signs of being brain dead for the rest of his life against all odds,Raz woke up this morning and is in stable condition We ask the the fans and media respect our family’s privacy.”
Raz B also reached out personally to CNN in an e-mail asking that nothing be published.
As previously reported NewsOne, TMZ reported that the singer was on life support at a hospital in Zhejiang, China after being struck in the face with a bottle Thursday night.
Raz-B was allegedly breaking up a fight when the incident occurred. He was taken to the hospital with cuts to his face and lips, and told TMZ, “F**k this s**t hurts. I have a f**king hole in my lip. Thank god I made it to the hospital.”
After the incident, Raz-B allegedly returned to his hotel, but could not be woken up Friday morning.
Raz’s publicist, Toy Jones, confirmed at the time, “He is in a coma and needs as many prayers as possible.”
Raz-B, who along with the other original members of B2K, Omarion, Lil’ Fizz and J-Boog, produced hits “Uh Huh” and “Bump, Bump, Bump” before splitting in 2004.’
The singer has been living in China for the last three years, producing a mixtape in 2010. Coincidentally, he was injured in Shanghai 3 years ago when he tripped and fell through a glass door. After losing a near-fatal amount of blood from a deeply sliced wrist. At the time, the B2K singer tweeted:
‘MAN…. Cherish life and your loved one’s. You just never know. THANK YOU LORD FOR SAVING MY LIFE.’
According to TMZ, he plans to move back to the United States for his “big comeback” at the end of the year.
This is not the first time that TMZ has reported false information about someone being near death.
As previously reported by NewsOne, in March of this year TMZ reported that Lil Wayne was being given his last rites as he lay in an induced coma due to his “uncontrollable shaking,” after a drug overdose. TMZ later recanted their “last rites” claim, but insisted that Wayne’s stomach had to be pumped three times while in the intensive care unit (ICU).