Atlanta Daily World Wins Big at Atlanta Association of Black Journalists Awards

ALEXIS_AABJAWARDS.jpg

The Atlanta Daily World newspaper received three prestigious awards on Sunday, July 21 at the 31st Annual Pioneer Black Journalist Awards competition of the Atlanta Association of Black Journalists.

Two of the three awards earned were for outstanding accomplishments in online journalism, with the remaining award given for best print news column. ADW Digital Editor Dion Rabouin was honored for his online article “How Ray Lewis Got Away with Murder.” ADW intern James Pressley won for his story “Students React to Start of Class in Morehouse’s First-Ever LGBT Course.” ADW publisher M. Alexis Scott won for her column “Thank you, Photographers for Telling Our Story.”

The awards competition featured broadcast, cable, print and online entries from news outlets around the metro area. In addition to winners in categories like public service, deadline reporting and public affairs, the AABJ presented three special awards and scholarships to three students.

Mayor Kasim Reed brought special greetings to the gathering at the Georgia Freight Depot.

“The work of the AABJ is needed now more than ever,” Reed said. “We need your voice to provide a unique view and you are exemplars for others to follow.”

Ernie Suggs, a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution since 1997, received the 2013 Pioneer Black Journalist Award. At the AJC, Suggs covers race, civil rights and politics. He has been a vice president of the NABJ and editor of the NABJ Journal. Both the current and previous publisher, CA Scott, of ADW have been honored with the Pioneer Black Journalist Award.

Iconic radio personality Frank Ski received a special 2013 Presidential Tribute Award. The Former co-host of his own morning show for 14 years on V-103, Ski continues to be an influence and contributor to the music industry as a DJ and producer.

Brittany Geneva Cummings, an associate producer for CNN Newsroom, won the title of 2013 Volunteer of the Year. She has been an active member of AABJ and currently serves as Communication Committee chair.

Xernona Clayton, iconic broadcaster and founder of the Trumpet Awards, was on hand to present the scholarships named in her honor to three students.

Nia Testmark, a senior at Clark Atlanta University who aspires to be a magazine writer and columnist, received a $5,000 scholarship. Phebe Dowels, a senior at Georgia State University where she’s a reporter for the student newspaper, received $3,000. Sequenza Howes-Williams, a rising junior at Clark Atlanta University studying abroad this summer in China, received $2,000.

About Post Author

Comments

From the Web

Verified by MonsterInsights