Man Killed in East Pont Fire Caused by Lit Candle

    Comments:  | Leave A Comment

    House_fire_cc.jpg

    The fire that claimed a man’s life in an East Point neighborhood is believed to have started when a candle caused a sofa to catch fire.

    The fire happened on the 1700 block of Gillem Rd., just before 1 a.m. When first responders arrived at the scene, the roof and windows were engulfed in flames.

    Neighbors reported that the 34-year-old male in the house was watching the house for his mother and was in the house alone at the time of the fire.

    The East Point fire department and the Georgia State Fire Marshal’s office have ruled the fire accidental in nature. There was no fire detector found in the home.

    Families in the neighborhood will be visited by firefighters for fire safety information and optional smoke detector installation.

    “We are saddened by the loss of one of our residents, and our prayers are with the family,” said Fire Chief Rosemary R. Cloud.

    (Photo: House fire image, via Creative Commons)

    Tags: »

    Comments

    blog comments powered by Disqus
    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 189 other followers