Pike Nurseries experts have a few tips to select the perfect Christmas tree and keep it fresh and festive throughout the season:
• Look for a healthy green color. Run your hand
along the branch of a tree to check for needles that
hold fast and are flexible – not stiff and brittle.
• Make a fresh cut along the bottom of the trunk.
Prior to loading, Pike Nurseries does this for you
for FREE to guarantee that the tree will absorb
• Use a tree stand that holds at least one gallon of
water. Keep a watchful eye and never let the water
level drop below the bottom of the trunk, or the tree
will not be able to absorb water.
• Keep away from direct heat sources to prevent
drying and fire hazards. Practice safety around
holiday favorites such as candles, fireplaces,
wood stoves or heating vents.
• Add depth to your tree. Go heavy on Christmas
lights and zig-zag them from front to back as you
work through each layer of branches. Another trick
is to stagger ornaments at different depths on the
• Choose a festive color pallet. For a professional-
looking tree, use a color pallet that includes two or
three colors, and play with different shades of those
• Fill in holes and bare spots. Play with sprigs of
berries or silk flowers for added texture and color
to create a fuller-looking tree.