computer, and third is the issue of digital literacy,” said Macke.
Comcast plans to allow entire families to receive training to become Internet savvy and have hopes that the youth will lead the way to bringing other family members up-to-date with technology.
“We’ve developed an online model with Microsoft for folks who are intuitively able and willing to use the computer. Secondly, we have printed materials that go to the homes, and third, we are partnering with the Latin American Association, with the Urban League, [and] Boys and Girls Clubs across our footprint to offer classroom style training, not just for the student but for the family. It’s sort of that same thing but a different version where the kids first –they’re programming the VCR, and then it’s the iPhones and iPads, and so the kids are definitely a mechanism in which to bring the whole family to the digital age.”
Internet Essentials participants will receive:
* Residential Internet service for $9.95 a month;
* No price increases, no activation fees, or equipment rental fees;
* A voucher to purchase a low-cost computer for $149.99 + tax;
* Access to free digital literacy training in print, online or in person.
Additional benefits include a complementary Norton Security Suite ($160 value) for comprehensive online security protection.
A household is eligible to participate in the Internet Essentials program if it meets all of the following criteria:
* Is located where Comcast offers Internet service;
* Has at least one child who receives a free school lunch under the NSLP;
* (As an example, according to the Department of Agriculture, a household of three would have to make less than $25,000 a year in income);
* Has not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days;
Does not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment.
For more information about Internet Essentials, visit www.internetessentials.com for English and visit www.internetbasico.com for Spanish. Parents looking to enroll in the program can call 1-855-846-8376 or, for Spanish, 1-855-765-6995.