Dr. Maya Angelou cuts the ribbon at the recent opening of The Maya Angelou Teen Center at the Andrew & Walter Young Family YMCA. More than 600 people attended the celebration. The Teen Center has a performance area and stage, a computer lab, a reading and study room, a cyber café and a boutique. The students are excited about this phenomenal facility, which is referred to as their Safe Haven. The opening included 11 Alive anchor Donna Lowery; inspirational songs from Kathleen Bertrand; a welcome by Diane King, director, and Judge Patsy Porter co- chair of the Board along with Ingrid Saunders Jones of the Coca-Cola Company. Entertainment from the Teens, speeches from the Young Family and the City told the history of the Y facility. The highlight of the evening came when Angelou spoke about the importance of this center and how important it is to get involved with the teens. There was a silent auction and food was served.
- Congrats! ‘LHHATL’ Lovebirds Waka Flocka And Tammy Rivera Secretly Eloped
- You Be The Judge: Michael Jackson Hologram At Billboard Music Awards [VIDEO]
- Why are law enforcement officials out of control?!?
- Diddy, Kevin Hart, Drake, Lupita, others celebrate Memorial Day weekend
- Jay Z and Beyonce 'Run' with Sean Penn and Blake Lively