Dr. Maya Angelou cuts the ribbon at the recent opening of The Maya Angelou Teen Center at the Andrew & Walter Young Family YMCA. More than 600 people attended the celebration. The Teen Center has a performance area and stage, a computer lab, a reading and study room, a cyber café and a boutique. The students are excited about this phenomenal facility, which is referred to as their Safe Haven. The opening included 11 Alive anchor Donna Lowery; inspirational songs from Kathleen Bertrand; a welcome by Diane King, director, and Judge Patsy Porter co- chair of the Board along with Ingrid Saunders Jones of the Coca-Cola Company. Entertainment from the Teens, speeches from the Young Family and the City told the history of the Y facility. The highlight of the evening came when Angelou spoke about the importance of this center and how important it is to get involved with the teens. There was a silent auction and food was served.
- Funkmaster Flex loses his mind, calls out Jay Z
- 13 facts that will blow your mind about Whitney Houston
- Happy Birthday, baby girl: Aaliyah’s 10 greatest songs
- #BlackLivesMatter holds sing-in for M.L.K.’s birthday [VIDEO]
- Gwyneth Paltrow performs ‘IDFWU’ … and it’s hilarious
- Watch Spike Lee’s new movie before it hits theaters next month