By: Special to the Daily World
In commemoration of the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, General Services Administrator Martha Johnson joined Rep. John Lewis, the Reverend Joseph E. Lowery, and members of the King family for a rededication ceremony on Jan. 14 of the recently renovated Martin Luther King, Jr. Federal Building.
The building was the first federal building in the United States named after King and was the result of the legislation Lewis introduced and guided through passage in Congress. The building used to be Atlanta’s main downtown post office. It is quite likely one that Dr. King used himself on many occasions because it is located fairly close to his home on Sunset Avenue in northwest Atlanta near downtown.
GSA has undertaken a complete renovation of the 1933 federal building. The renovation, which employed more than 800 people, preserves the historic features of the building while incorporating green technologies to ensure that the building continues to honor King’s legacy long into the future.